Recognizing the False Dawns in Wisconsin-DOC solitary confinement Reforms
Recognizing the False Dawns in Wisconsin-DOC solitary confinement Reforms
By a prisoners who has spent more than 18 years on solitary confinement.
Date: 1 26 2015
If the public stops watching and pushing them (DOC) they will not only stop changing things, but reverse some of the stuff they did and let the abusive back in rotation.
1) On behalf of all those still being held on AC (Long status of solitary confinement) here at WCI and statewide a response and dispute must be formulated in response to the overpraise being made to WI – DOC( men on AC composed of time length from 2 years to over 18 and 22 years held status.)
2) The changes mentioned in the 2014 report by the Association of State Correctional Administrators and some media quotation of the same, are nothing more than “Gauzes” being applied to a neglected and septic wound.
3) Showing strong symptoms of preventative gang green.
4) The January 17th 2016 and other media accounts that the tide is turning against solitary confinement. We are working to give measure to said reports.
5) The public must know that these lip services are at best smoke screens to shut them up. First of all those lawsuits and settlements mentioned in Dee J. Hill Jan. 17th report (which has the DOC has kept much of the details) concealed) mainly dealt with prisoners with mental illness. And because DOC will not and do not acquire the proper mental health resource statistics to deal with mental health issues, the settlements are bandages and nothing more than quieting suits.(i.e. We tried to slow the bleeding from shooting out like a water hydrant to a garden hose flow.)
6) Lost in the smoke screen is the hundreds of us still confined in long term solitary confinement textually called AC Administrative confinement. Waupun has 24 people on AC as of the date of writing.
7) My 17 year continuum of AC was briefly stayed for 60 days for DS(disciplinary Segregation) time. Once this paper shift DS is up they will paper shift me right back to AC. I've already received a prenotice that this is their intent. Nothing much changes but paper works labels.
8) DS and Ac are so identical that you have to be told they are not the same. Psychologically they are. I often forget the are not until I could only receive a one hour visit from my family who traveled from Chicago to only talk to me through a tv screen. (AC gives two hours)
9) In the recent news article by Hall, DOC Mental health director, Kenin Kallas stated they are being more transformative in how they “think And act”. In Practice and to whom solitary confinement is( protractedly) applied.
10) However, the reality on the inside is much more real and truthful than the propaganda being spieled here. I witness mentally ill prisoners down the range deteriorating menatlly and physically every day. One such elderly prisoner has been on AC, Shipped here and there for over 20 years ,since about 1995.
11) Only one single mentally ill has been released form AC and this was because prisoners’ rights advocacy groups like ffup and others pushed his mental health status in their face.
12) How can we trust DOC spokes people when in 2014 they made claims of major changes in Disciplinary segregation rules and applications.(DOC 303 code) However when the new 2014 rule book came out they not only increased the time sentences but added new offenses and time frames the allowed punishment of 360 days in confinement.
13) Only after prisoners complained to advocacy groups like FFUP, Wisdom and WCEHTP WCIJ(Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism) . And only after WCIJ filed a lawsuit did the DOC issue a DAI policy clean up. Why print a new rule book with policies you were not going to implement or that was contrary to the new Changes promised to make?
14) And it was still not being enforced. When the DAI clean-up policy came out. Counteracting the 2014 rule book. Rogue joints like WCI concealed and refused to disclose and implement the DAI's mandate. And we never even knew there was a DAI policy until August of 2015.
15) And no way Madison was not aware the rogue institutions like Waupun was not went Sarah Palin on us by not implementing the new DAI which was created ad hoc every time a prisoner appealed an ICI to Madison on a disciplinary procedural Madison/ DAI etc was placed on notice. Those appeals would have made it clear. Madison said nothing and did nothing for almost a whole year-Waupun refused to disclose and follow the DAI policy.
16) We learned of the DAI policy when by rumor from Green Bay, but this was not official. Then confirmed by a newspaper article which were denied to make copies or to circulate to enlighten others of our class and to get more information.
17) This skullduggery and dilatory tactics illustrate that DOC (by facts and extrapolations) is not serious nor sincere in their words and will never be proactive in these issues of solitary confinement constraint. They will only make small window show changes to get the attention and focus off of them and not to appear the only state out the fad.
18) Only if there is pressure and monitoring by society will they follow through.
19) DAI Cathy Jess statement showcases this very fact and the DOC attitude. “ It is somewhat of, I would say, a culture shift for the staff” ( a culture they have been and continuously denied existed in first place and all lawsuits and complaints files alleging such).
20) She continues,”I've been in the Department (DOC) for 29 years. Things change, the pendulum swings with corrections, and depending on the public's opinion and how laws get passed and different things..”
21) To her it is not a matter of doing the right thing or following human conscience to treat others humanely. To her it is a matter which oscillation the wind is blowing.
22) So the question to the public is: who has to push the pendulum to get moving? For she's been here 29 years and has played a major role in that so-called culture they barely expose. When she say “it swings with Corrections”
We must be suspicious of what “corrections” she is talking about. The Department or the official misconduct? The culture? Or with the humane changes that Obama and other prison reforms are being called for. The abolition of solitary as a management continuum in general? She has the power individually to do so right now.
23) Furthermore, DOC staff do not get paid with tax dollars to build and establish a culture ( Abusive or otherwise). They get paid to follow mandates laid down by DAI and other hands in Madison. They don't live here, they don't have the psychologist interests or investments to prison lifestyle to be cultured into a way. The fact that they have shows a lack of management and training coming in policy and practices from Madison’s Academy.
24) My Observations and experience lead me to extrapolate its more metonymy than the noun (swings with corrections).
25) If they were sincere! WCIJ would not have to keep suing them to gain access to the truths facts and figures they wish to conceal. Public data that suppose to by on DOC's website.
26) They will continue to make these window dressing changes and false claims until the pressure and focus is removed. And they will not only stop making changes but they will reverse a lot of the ones they've made.
27) They could release all 24 of us from AC today and a few weeks later place us ALL right back on it if the public don't demand legislative actions and law regulating DOC acts and boundaries. We need AC caps and constraints. The pre-1998 change was more humane.
28) Lastly. What Culture shift? When a lot of the ethno centric minds, like Jess herself (29 years recall0 played major roles in this abusive and disgusting culture in the first place. When talking of cultural institutions involving official abuses and misconduct. That means people like Jess was aware of these abuses at least and/or encouraged it, overlooked it, or organized it from the very start.
29)hese are the lessons in “Corrections” that we prisoners are learning-that ALL the negative qualities that got some in prison-it's okay for these same qualities to be exhibited by government employees.(re-to beat, abuse, lies, neglect or kill)
30) To amplify what Rev. Kate Edwards of WISDOM finds to be (a catch 22) “concerning.” That a specified max period of confinement .. for aggravated circumstances” is the Only thing that will pause and begin to cure this House cannot be overstated.
31) First: “Aggravated circumstance”turns on a ambiguous expansion in terms. Because either, as a rule infraction or as a cause for non-infraction AC placement; without that maximum time cap. All the so-call changes will merely by washing and cleaning the outside of the wound and leaving the inside infected and putting the same bias bandages shown to not keep it clean back on it ( re: same attitudes, policies, staff, officials etc )
33) But hey, I'm just one of the evidences of this official vice. 18Years and counting in solitary oscillating between AC and DS.
34) The Mandela rule is what the nations of the world need. How many more seg-icides (segregation suicides) or post confinement seg-icides need to occur before we demand they do what's humane.
35) President Obama has taken the lead. But can other politicians do what's right?
36) It is the public who are to hold these power blocks responsible and compel human rights. Mandela Rule: Everyone call and write to Madison and demand the Mandela rule/law on solitary confinement in WI and the nation
From oppressive confines of Waupun. 18 years and continuum
Ras AtumRa Uhuru Mutawakkil; PO Box 351 #228971; Waupun, WI 53963